Monday, June 15, 2009

Craft Fail

Have you seen this website?

I have a submission. I tried to make a laundry bag out of a pillowcase for Father's Day. My dad is leaving this week for a two week mission trip to Africa, and I thought it would be sweet to have a handmade laundry bag to take along. I picked out one of his mother's old pillowcases that I have, and went off to JoAnn's Fabrics to buy some twill tape. They only had black, and the pillow case was light green, but I figured I'd go with the flow. The entire time that I made this bag I thought it was a good idea. It wasn't. It's terrible. So terrible I couldn't bring myself to take pictures. Though I did go ahead and give the pillowcase/laundry bag to my father yesterday. I think my brother summed the thing up best when he saw it: "That's stupid. What is that, a pillowcase with some ribbon sewn on?"

Yes, Zach, that's what it is.

Sigh.

I did give my dad something wrapped up inside the pillowcase (it actually made a pretty good gift bag)--a leather journal that he can draw in. And yesterday I learned that there are parasites in the water in Africa that bore holes through fabric. Maybe my bag is destined for some bigger, more exciting adventure there, as a home to tropical parasites?



Shannah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love CraftFail! I'm working on a blanket now that may be more of a tribute to the ugly afghans of the 70s, but may qualify as a fail. We'll see when it's finished.

I like the pillowcase laundry bag idea. My parents have their own washer/dryer, but sometimes my dad goes to the laundromat to get all the towels done, or whatever. My mom would want him to use a garbage bag, to transport the laundry and my dad would stuff it all into pillow cases so that he wouldn't look homeless. And then mom would complain because she was convinced that he was wearing out the pillowcases that way.

Until I suggested it, it didn't occur to them to, you know, purchase a laundry bag.

Parents.

I hope your Dad has a great time in Africa.